Giving Makes an Impact
- Your support makes an impact on the lives of our rural Appalachian neighbors, community volunteers, and mission teams, as well as the communities to which they return. Through your donations (financial,”in-kind,” and volunteer time/skills), you partner with Hinton to: help make homes safer, healthier, and warmer; help parents provide new clothes for their children at Christmas; train community members and congregations to better support those with mental health challenges; equip young adults to serve as missional leaders and discern calls to ministry; provide educational and networking opportunities that empower local residents to become community builders. Here is what friends of Hinton helped accomplish in 2022:
- Families/households served — 441
- Loads of firewood — 702
- Mission participants — 725
- Home repair projects — 186 (on 48 homes)
- Volunteers — 1,099
- Value ($) of volunteer hours — $704,274
- Leadership Chatuge graduates — 18 (bringing total # of grads to 73)
- Participants, rural poverty simulations — 550
- Christmas Care, # of children — 388
Ways You Can Give
Financial gifts are ALWAYS appreciated at Hinton. Whether you make a small automated monthly donation, a large end-of-year contribution, or any size gift in between, we are grateful for your support and encouragement. As a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, Hinton cannot do what we do in our community for our neighbors, on our campus for our guests, or with our mission teams and beyond without the generosity of donors. There are several ways you can make a financial donation:
- Online through PayPal or credit card. Use the PayPal button for these options. (You do not need to have a PayPal account.)
- Online through The United Methodist Advance. The Advance is a designated giving arm of The United Methodist Church that ensures 100% of each gift is used for its intended mission. Hinton Rural Life Center is Advance Project #731372. The United Methodist Advance button takes you to the online giving page for Hinton.
- By check. Make payable and mail to Hinton Rural Life Center, PO Box 27, Hayesville NC 28904
- By credit card. Call Hinton at 828-389-8336 with your credit card information. We’ll process your payment and send you a receipt.
Hinton receives a variety of in-kind, or non-monetary, contributions throughout the year. These may include donations of equipment for home repair or firewood ministries or donations of furniture, appliances, and cooking/serving dishes. Other in-kind donation items include stocks, airline tickets, and vehicles. If you have something you’d like to donate or want to inquire about specific needs and the in-kind donation process, please contact Kelli Miller for lodging/campus items, Dawn Martin for mission-related items, and Jacqueline Gottlieb for stocks, vehicles, and other “large-ticket” in-kind gifts. Call 828-389-8336 or email email@example.com.
THROUGH DECEMBER 31, 2023 — We’re wrapping up our Rock On rocking chair tribute campaign! To date, we’ve received tribute gifts for 14 white Trex rocking chairs towards replacing the 27 wooden ones across campus. For a $500 donation, you can provide a new Trex rocking chair in honor or in memory of someone that includes a tribute plate with their name(s) 0r the name of the donor (individual, family, organization, church). Donate online through the PayPal link, above; include the tribute information in the notes/instructions. You can also mail a check, with tribute information and your contact information, to Hinton at PO Box 27, Hayesville, NC 28904.
2023 Year-End Appeal
From Dr. Jacqueline Gottlieb, Hinton CEO & President, 11-28-23
This past week, as my family enjoyed Thanksgiving together, I reflected on things I’m thankful for. A big one for me is being part of an organization like Hinton Rural Life Center that truly makes a difference in the lives of our neighbors in Southern Appalachia. A few weeks ago, local volunteers gathered on a Saturday to provide Safe & Healthy Home repairs for an elderly veteran and his family. And, just the other day, a family with children in desperate need of firewood for heating their home was able to get the wood they needed from Hinton’s firewood lot. I’m also thankful that Hinton continues to offer a safe, welcoming place for those who need to rest, connect with God, and renew mind, body, and soul.
I am thankful for Hinton’s excellent staff of 22 full- and part-time employees, who work diligently to create, organize, and support our programs, ministries, and facilities, offering great hospitality to guests and walking alongside our neighbors in need. And, I am thankful for YOU. Without the support of donors and volunteers, none of the things I’ve shared with you could happen. . . .
Read her complete letter HERE for Hinton’s 2023 achievements, current ministry needs, and invitation to watch the video, below, to learn more about Hinton’s impact on young people.
Hinton’s wish list consists of items that would be very helpful in the upkeep of our beautiful campus and the facilities entrusted to our care. They could be items that help us in our mission outreach or help us to provide more excellent hospitality for our guests. To see if there’s an item you’d like to gift Hinton, contact our Director of Operations Kelli Miller, 828-389-8336 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Legacy gifts are made by visionary supporters to support the ongoing creation and sustainability of Hinton’s impactful and transformative work in the local community, the ministries of congregations, and in the lives of neighbors, volunteers, and guests. Legacy gifts include planned giving to Hinton Rural Life Center through charitable bequests (wills, trusts), life insurance, endowments, and retirement plans. For more information, contact Jacqueline Gottlieb, Hinton CEO and president, at 828-389-8336 or email@example.com .
Honor or remember someone special with a gift that changes lives through the ministries of Hinton Center. Along with your financial donation, include a note, email (firstname.lastname@example.org) , or call 828-389-8336 with your tribute information:
- Donor’s name and contact information
- ___ In honor of ___ In memory of _________________________________________
- Name and contact information for acknowledgement card. (Gift amount will not be disclosed.)
Hinton offers year-round opportunities for different ages, interests, and skill levels, for both individuals and groups who want tovolunteer in our rural Appalachian community. Whether you have a few hours, a day, a week, or more, there is a way for you to serve. Options include, but are not limited to, Safe & Healthy Home Assessments and Repairs, firewood ministry, tending trails and gardens, Christmas Care of Clay County, campus maintenance and landscaping projects, helping staff our Rural Poverty Simulation, Charity Golf Tournament, and office help.
Click HERE for our Community Outreach brochure, which features the many ways Hinton serves the community and the opportunities for individuals and groups to volunteer. You can also submit our Volunteer Interest Survey linked HERE, and Hinton’s Community Connections Coordinator Jeremy Jenkins will follow up with you to explore ways you can give to our community through volunteerism. You can also contact Jeremy for more information at email@example.com or 828-389-8336.